View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutHill View Post
An absolutely excellent point! One I hadn't even thought of. I think I will write a seperate article about selecting a breeder / selecting the "right" puppy for you, then link the new page to the page about showing.

There is so much I can write about selecting a breeder! I guess I jsut thought most people already knew about that, but, you are right, that's where most people make a mistake. If you choose a breeder who is hard to get in touch with and unwilling to help, you will have a much harder time learning anything. I know my menotors have always been there for me, from teaching me how to do a proper top knot to the best products to buy.

Thanks for the advice!
No, most people don't know about how to select a breeder/exhibitor/mentor. Most are in a hurry and go to the first one that will sell them a dog on open registration. Believe me I get so many calls, e-mails from YT members that have done just that and have been bitten. I try to console them and help, but when all is said and done, I'm pretty blunt.....it's their fault, they were in a hurry. The consequences are the same.

The articles and instructins are on google....I've found them....even 10 years ago when I was looking for said articles for newbie. There are also great how to in YT Magazine and The Gazette. The key is to find a breeder that has a great line, been showing and has at least 10 generations of Champions in that line. Once you've found that mentor.....everything else falls into place, they are your teacher....on everything "Show"

Finding a mentor and building trust between the two of you is a 2 way street. A novice needs to be respective to learning and willing to listen.....be a sponge.

I will say, as a newbie, I still hadn't developed or determined my type of yorkie. So, I put my faith and trust in my mentor and she selected my first Show Dog

Last edited by Mardelin; 12-27-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!