View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutHill View Post
I am writing a 'how to' for novices about showing. I am hoping for some feedback/advice as to what to add to my little article.

Showing Your Yorkie - The basics for beginners

I don't want to get too detailed since it's for beginners, but there is so much a newbie should know. Any suggestions?
I know your intention is to make it simple. However, I think you'd want to begin with informing a newbie on how to find a reputable breeder/exhibitor first. It seems that is where so many newbies go wrong and have to restart once they've made the wrong choices. The importance of finding a reputable breeder/exhibitors being at the top of the list, since said breeder/exhibitor will be the newbies mentor. That mentor instructing them on everything.

I know my breeder/exhibitor/mentor, taught me everything, instructed me on everything (and still teaching me), from telling me which handling classes to attend, nutrition, genetics, pedigrees, training, coat care, grooming, presentation, and when I was ready was there on my first whelp.

She was there for my first show dog's first puppy match and every show that she was entered in, through her Championship and there on her last show, the day my girl retired from the ring.

So, in my oppinion a good mentor and how to go about searching for one should be up front.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!