View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
jrsygal37
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hello Yorkie Talk community! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with multiple tumors/cysts on their yorkie. My mother's 11 year old yorkie is covered with tumors/cysts (probably around 20 tumors). He's had these large bumps for years and the vet has always told her that they were cysts and nothing could be done about it. She had about 7 removed (cut off) several years ago. In fact, the vet simply pulled one off once. Despite having most of them cut off, they have come back and multiplied over the past year. The vet says the only thing to do is to cut them off again (which is extremely expensive). While my mother is willing to pay to have this done, she's worried that the vet is wrong and missing the underlying cause.

Since I've been home for Christmas, I've been checking them out and am convinced that something has to be wrong here. Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help.
Hi Welcome to YT. I'm not an expert, but my guess is mass cell tumors. It had always been my understanding that most a benign but really no way to know that without a biopsy on each one. Two years ago I lost my 11 yr. old Yorkie to a mass cell tumor. It was on his foot pad. Our vet of 30 years had never seen a tumor on the foot pad. When they biopsied it, it turned out to be stage III or IIII and we lost him a couple of months after as it spread to his liver. We had no indication of this tumor. Just one day he had been licking his foot and I looked and it was puffy. Initially they had thought he stepped on something. The most common place for mass cell tumors are on the body, and face. I hope it works out for your mom and her baby.

Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!