Thread: help...
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Thorsmomma
I Love Thor
Donating Member

I know you already know that Chocolate is bad for dogs but this kinda breaks it down. I would call your vet immediatley!!!
Please keep us updated!
Hannah

Can Dogs Eat Chocolate ?
By DogNutrition.com

It is a very bad idea to feed your dogs chocolate because it contains a chemical called theobromine. Dogs can't metabolize theobromine as efficiently as humans so it builds up in their systems until it reaches a toxic level of concentration, which may lead to a variety of problem with the most serious being death due to cardiac arrest.Keep in mind that the less the dog weights, the more you should be worried because the toxicity level is higher.

When I think of chocolate, I think of Hershey so I went to their website to find out just how many mg of theobromine is in one ounce of chocolate.

HERSHEY'S KISSES (milk chocolate) 58mgs per oz
HERSHEY'S (milk chocolate) bar 55 mgs per oz
SPECIAL DARK (sweet chocolate) bar 134 mgs per oz
HERSHEY'S cocoa 737 mgs per oz

As you can see, the number varies greatly depending on the type of chocolate. Milk chocolate has the lowest amount of theobromine per oz compared to dark chocolate. Raw coca being the highest with twelve (12x) times more theobromine then milk chocolate. I would definitely encourage you to call a vet if your dog ingests a sizeable amount of cocoa.

The boys on DOGSTER
Thorsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!