View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Joules
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default cowering behavior

Hi All

My brave little wonder boy (13 months) is becoming a real scaredy cat. He has developed a strange new habit of cowering when I put his leash on, like he is scared of it. I have never hit my baby, or dropped the leash on him or anything like that and it breaks my heart to see his little ears droop and his back go down when I put the leash on. He's fine when we are out walking, it's just putting it on and taking it off. I am currently trying to encourage him to sit up confidently by saying 'Sit Proud', correcting his posture and of course giving treats and lots of praise, but the poor little guy looks terrified! I have one of those poop bag holders on the leash handle as well as his discs cos he hates wearing them and I wondered if it was the noise of the discs rattling that he doesn't like - has anyone else had this problem?

He's also developed an absolute terror of any plastic bag whether I'm carrying it, or a pedestrian or, God forbid, it's in the street and the wind is blowing, then he plants his paws and refuses to walk past it. It's now developing into anything that anyone carries and anything on wheels (including bags, prams, strollers, bicycles etc) I'm worried that his 'terrors' are getting more extreme and it will effect his wanting to go out, he is a totally social pup who loves to say Hi to every dog and person he sees - unless they have a plastic bag

I would like to nip this behaviour in the bud if possible, so all advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
Joules & Barney
Joules is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!