View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Patti...I meant to post on this yesterday...then somehow got distracted . Any better?

When giardia is symptomatic, oh man it can get nasty - so I feel for you (where some dogs have it w/ 1 day of mild symptoms, then it's gone...).

Do you have a Petco nearby? If yes, go to Ferret area, and look for Benebac - it will be "hanging" (vs. on shelf) and comes in little tubes of 4 - it's about $4. This is a highly concentrated probiotic paste that I always have on hand and it really can help - esp. w/ dogs under stress, sudden diarrhea, post-tummy issues etcetera. It populates the tract quickly...and I'm not sure why it works so much better than, say, yogurt or something else -- it must have to do w/ the delivery system and the state of a dog's system when under stress - but it works for me nearly all the time in terms of helping them get back on track.

That said, not sure the extent to which this will help since giardia is present. Is there blood also? Is there "gel" in the stool? Or just mushy? Sorry to be graphic but giardia can be so variable.

Tylan/Tylosin may help...not all vets carry it though, so it can take time to get, but it can also be obtained online.

So, does the rescue know how long she has had giardia and/or if this is a 1st infection or a re-infection, bc that would be important to know in terms of how aggressive this giardia is being on her small intestine right now. If she is a puppy (how old is she?), there is a good chance the giardia can damage her small intestines...and this can take quite a while after the giardia is gone to heal (this is what happened to Marcel as a pup).

Argh...one last thing...dogs can be given immodium for diarrhea too...not sure if that's same thing as kaopect...I'd have to look it up...

Honestly though...if the diarrhea isn't improving, the rescue should help you go back to the vet for add'l support for this kiddo as giardia really leeches the system. Ugh...I had the worst time w/ giardia. I really feel for ya!
Thanks so much for all the information Wylie's mom. On friday we started her on the Metrodrozinole and kaopectate and she went 30 hours with out pooping. Then yesterday afternoon she pooped a nice long solid poop. Then nothing until this morning when I let her out of her crate she peed outside and pooped in the bathroom (I have been having her poop in there so I can bleach it and not have it get into my soil where my dogs go) and it was solid and then 5 minutes later she pooped again and it was solid!!! I am hoping we have turned the corner. I would hate to send her to her forever home with the massive diahrea she had.
She was 3 1/2 months old when I got her and had a negative fecal at the shelter and for the first 3 days was fine.The shelter had just gotten then the day before at a puppy mill closing auction and they had driven 6 hours back to the shelter and got in at 4 am. They had a vet and vet tech look at all 18 dogs and tested them. I brought her home the next day after they were professionally groomed. So she had a lot of stress in those few days. Then on that Friday she pooped gel, blood and mucousy loose stools. She weighed 3.5 lbs and I was having trouble getting her to gain weight. So for one whole week she had nothing but runny stools sometimes with gel sometimes with blood. She is gaining weight now and hopefully we can get rid of the giardia.
I am going to look for the Benebac.
Thanks so much I will keep you updated.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!