View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelandSadie View Post
Her poop is coming out and looking like about 85-90% white rice.

I also want to know if switching to brown rice would be healthier overall, because even her normal diet calls for rice in it.

What do you all think? Any experience with rice in stools or in feeding natural diets that include white or brown rice?
If she is having trouble digesting white rice, then no, I would not switch her to brown rice - which has a longer "digestive chain" and will be even more complicated for her GI tract to digest. In addition, a canine's GI system isn't even designed to efficiently digest complex carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelandSadie View Post
anyways after talking to my nutritionist i found out i might just not be cooking the rice well enough and that it doesn't always digest all the way through just like sometimes corn does in our own poop...i know gross, but similar type of thing. so i just need to cook better and to get her back on her normal diet.
Hmmm...not sure what your nutritionist is getting at there. Do you mean a human nutritionist or a canine nutritionist?

The only plain white rice I really know of w/ fiber in it (therefore, like corn) is sushi rice - are you feeding her sushi rice? The reason corn doesn't digest is bc of the fiber/cellulose in its wall, from how I understand its digestion process.

That's why the theory of cooking veggies for dogs holds - bc you're "starting" the digestion process for them, by breaking down some of the chains for them (in a nutshell). But I don't really get this w/ the white rice/carbs...?

I guess if this were me and I really wanted to continue to cook and my baby was having this much trouble w/ an ingredient - I wouldn't give the ingredient. Rather, I think I would switch carb sources. Perhaps try sweet potato or white potato, if that's agreeable to your dog's system? Maybe others have ideas for carb sources as well...

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!