View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Patti...I meant to post on this yesterday...then somehow got distracted . Any better?

When giardia is symptomatic, oh man it can get nasty - so I feel for you (where some dogs have it w/ 1 day of mild symptoms, then it's gone...).

Do you have a Petco nearby? If yes, go to Ferret area, and look for Benebac - it will be "hanging" (vs. on shelf) and comes in little tubes of 4 - it's about $4. This is a highly concentrated probiotic paste that I always have on hand and it really can help - esp. w/ dogs under stress, sudden diarrhea, post-tummy issues etcetera. It populates the tract quickly...and I'm not sure why it works so much better than, say, yogurt or something else -- it must have to do w/ the delivery system and the state of a dog's system when under stress - but it works for me nearly all the time in terms of helping them get back on track.

That said, not sure the extent to which this will help since giardia is present. Is there blood also? Is there "gel" in the stool? Or just mushy? Sorry to be graphic but giardia can be so variable.

Tylan/Tylosin may help...not all vets carry it though, so it can take time to get, but it can also be obtained online.

So, does the rescue know how long she has had giardia and/or if this is a 1st infection or a re-infection, bc that would be important to know in terms of how aggressive this giardia is being on her small intestine right now. If she is a puppy (how old is she?), there is a good chance the giardia can damage her small intestines...and this can take quite a while after the giardia is gone to heal (this is what happened to Marcel as a pup).

Argh...one last thing...dogs can be given immodium for diarrhea too...not sure if that's same thing as kaopect...I'd have to look it up...

Honestly though...if the diarrhea isn't improving, the rescue should help you go back to the vet for add'l support for this kiddo as giardia really leeches the system. Ugh...I had the worst time w/ giardia. I really feel for ya!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!