View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
smartpuppiepets
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myandelclown View Post
I have a yorkie silkie named Sammie. She had Pups on 16 Dec so now we are at day 2, she appears restless like she is nesting now, she is scratching the recliner, ...under the bed under the tables, like she is digging for gold. Puppies are healthy, she saw vet yesterday to make sure no residual pups or afterbirth. Vet gave antibiotic cepalexin, just in case. Her calcium levels are fine. Any ideas for the restless behavior?? Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice
Digging is a sign of "cramps" and is the way for them to get rid of that discomfort. She is probably having some cramps as her uterus and cervix are coming back to normal size after the whelp. remember it takes several days for it all to come back to normal. As she nurses the puppies her body is releasing Oxitocyn still, and that causes the uterine contractions and the cramping sensation. They do feel restless when they are nursing and pant , that is also normal. As long as she is been monitored, you know her temperature is fine all is good. As time progresses she will feel better and will start to slowly became her old self again.
Yes, She should be confined to a small area, quiet and peaceful. I do provide a bed outside of the whelping box for my mommies to rest away from the puppies and they enjoy it, remember to keep a heating pad under the puppies as they do not maintain their temperature on their own yet.
Congrats !
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!