View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
newyorki
Yorkie Yakker

I brought our first Yorkie home on 11/2/09... less than 2 months ago. He was 4 months old and he was from a rescue. Like you, he caught our attention because he was the first one to the door when we got there. Very engaging, social.

He also seemed miserable and refused to eat when he got here. He played a little...halfheardtedly...but mostly he laid around moping. The rescue gave me some food to get me started....what they said was "one serving" was barely dented in 2 days. He refused the treats I had bought.

I took him out and actually walked the neighborhood into a few dog boutiques. He was little and it was cold..I actually kept him stuffed down my jacket rather than on a leash. We scored a lot of free samples and the puppy made a liar out of me by eating treats when coaxed by a professional dog groomer, and also a guy at a dog boutique. I also learned, he likes crispy types of treats, not chewy ones. He went nuts over the Dr Becker's Bites. He was living on those for a day or so. I also gav him some Karo syrup.

Did your rescue ask you to bring the dog to a vet? Mine did...the adoption contract required me to sign off that I would bring the dog to a vet within 7 days. I did, and it turned out the puppy had giardia. So we began treatment straight away, and it's possible the giardia had something to do with his not eating..not feeling right in the tummy. From what I understand, giardia is not uncommon and needs to be tested over a preiod of time, so my puppy may have been clean on his last vet visit but he was (+) again by the time I got him.

They are sensitive for sure! I bet yours will adjust soon. Good luck, keep reading and posting.
newyorki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!