View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
jnsasha
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
The foster pom I have had for almost 2 weeks has been on panacur for 6 days and her diahrea is no better. She was spayed yesterday and I got her back today and she has had 3 bouts of diahrea in 1 hour. I know she is stressed, but isn't there something they can give her to help the diahrea. They switched her to metrodrozinole today but does anyone know if the vet can give her a shot of something to help stop the diahrea or will the giardia override any shot? Thanks for any help. If she were my dog I would have her at my vet but I have to work with the shelter's animal health dept and I am waiting for a call back and they don't respond very quickly.
My little guy Skyler had giardia when I got him. He was so sick and at 1.1lbs it tooks weeks for him to recover. He would cry out and moan all day and night he was extremely uncomfortable. He was on metrodrozinole for weeks and eventually my vet weaned him off it. It took some time before his diahrea stopped and I had to hand feed him every two hours because he wouldn't eat. The vet wanted me to use soft food and a precription diet. He also recieved fluids for days and spent a few days in the hospital. I as well as my vet were worried we might lose him but with a lot of care he survived. Also I scrubbed everything constantly and cleaned his behind every time he pooped. That is a tough parasite and they can reinfect themselves. Now he is a 3lb little meatball at 8 months and eats like a champ. Hang in there and I'll be thinking about you both.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!