View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
apartmentgirL
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallmans View Post
We rehomed Bella, our very first dog when she was 7 months old. So my memories are fresh. We didn't plan on her joining the family so we went into the whole thing nieve an blind. But, she has added so much to our life that we can't imagine not having her. I'm going to list all the concerns/challenges we have faced in the 7 months we have had her.

1. Potty training: takes LOTS of time and patience. Bella is still having accidents in the home. We often don't see her sitting by the door when she has to go out and she doesn't bark etc. So, it's more our fault due to proximity than hers. This is a big area with Yorkies. Bella was easy to train because we were giving it 100% attention, it can't be done without true dedication to task.

2. Need for Attention: the first 3 months she needed my attention constantly! I wasn't prepared for this and at times I felt overwhelmed by her always being by my feet/side/back, etc. Now I have grown to love it. She is less needy about constant physical attention and is happy to be in very close proximity.

3. Physical Care: grooming, bathing, teeth, ears, etc. They need good physical care and this is a daily requirement (brushing, teeth). I love the weekly bath, it is so much fun to watch her do the "crazy puppy" routine when
she is put down after being towel-dried.

4. Vet visits: Yes, they need medical preventive care. We have insurance for Bella and it really helps reduce expenses. Yorkies can have allergies requiring special food and medications. Bella has been very healthy, but she is on medication/food for allergies.

5. Behavior Training: classes are wonderful. Well worth the expense.

I guess I would say, just be prepared. Make sure you are truly in agreement about this as it is very hard on a Yorkie to be rehomed. They are such loyal little lovers. Believe me, they are prep for parenting as they take true responsibilty on the part of the owner if you are doing the dog ownership role correctly.

Good luck! We've NEVER regretted our decision to take Bella into our home. She is the joy of our life and now we just take the many aspects we felt were overwhelming in the beginning in stride.

Thanks for all the great information you provided! My boyfriend and I read it together and it helped a lot on our decison. Thank you!! Very helpful!
apartmentgirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!