View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

The keys to potty training are: consistency/routine, and confinement! Your puppy needs to be confined so she can be watched. When you are gone or sleeping I would suggest a crate. The crate needs to be large enough for her to stand up, turn around, and lay down but small enough that she can't poop/pee in one corner and then go lay down on the opposite side. When you are home and can commit to watching her 100%, I would suggest gating her off in the same room as you and paying close attention. This way, the absolute SECOND you see her start to sniff, walk around and circle (these are signs she has to go), you can scoop her up and take her outside. If you cannot watch her fully, I would suggest a play pen so she has a little more room. You will need to take her out first thing in the morning, last thing before bed, 15-30 minutes after eating/drinking, after playing, and then probably every 1 hour aside from that. It is important to be diligent and prevent accidents before they happen. That way you can praise and treat good behavior. When she does happen to potty outside, go crazy! Treat her (cheese worked especially well for us) and praise lavishly! Your neighbors will think you are crazy but she needs the positive reinforcement.

Sorry this is so long and good luck!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!