View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
vanessa19
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I am sorry your babies got sick from the dog food. Do you mind telling me how big a bag you had bought and how long the bag had been opened? Also, what store did you buy the food from? How did the vet know the dog food was rancid, did you take him some of the food? Personally I think if it were me I would be very tempted to have the food tested at a laboratory and if the food was contaminated with something I would be sending Natural Balance the bill.

Any dog food from any manufacturer can go bad. Once a bag is opened it needs to be properly stored and kept in a sealed container or it can go bad.

Storage of dog food is important. If you go buy a bag of dog food and leave it in a hot vehicle for a long time that can also effect the quality of the food. The manufacturer of the food is not always the blame. Sometimes the retailer of the food may not store the food properly. When buying dog food always make sure you check the dates on the food. I know several years ago I had bought some Bil-Jac dog food from Petsmart and it turned out it had an expired date on it.

It is also a good idea to smell the food every now and then. I had a bag of Canidae go rancid one time and it had a different smell.
The bag I had only for about 3 days. I buy the 4lb bags and then I have an air tight container it goes in so it doesn't go bad. I was jsut mad and upset and wanted my baby to be ok. Natural Balance wanted the actual bag which I did not have because as soon as I empy it into the air tight container I trash the bag. I bought it from Petco and they gave me a bag of Wellness when I told them what had happened.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!