Thread: Honking
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Collapsing trachea is not always evident on x-rays. I had a yorkie years ago who had one and it had shown on x-rays. He had to have surgery and the surgeon who did the surgery checked the x-ray and it did not show...the trachea looked open. Well, he almost died following the surgery due to the manipulation of the trachea (he had cervical disc surgery) and also the intubation.

They can often palpate the front of the neck to see if they cough, but sometimes that can be due to tracheobronchitis .... but could be tracheal collapse. I believe they will often treat with antibiotics first to see if that clears it up. Sometimes you can actually feel the tracheal collapse...I have a foster now with a CT and it is really strange to feel the front of his neck when he is coughing a lot. It actually vibrates. When they are that bad, the diagnosis is easily made.

A bronchoscope is probably a definitive way to get a diagnosis, but I honestly would not do that since there are risks involved.

In time, with age, a collapsed trachea becomes very obvious. The surgery for it is not highly successful so it comes down to treating the symptoms which can be done with or without a diagnosis. That is my opinion of course...some people do opt for surgery.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!