View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #15
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
You make a very valid point. But as we have seen, getting that ribbon does not mean that you have bred a healthy dog.

I agree it is all about the ethics of the breeder.

We hobby breeders have to maintain a reputation or our puppies would not sell. Not all holbby breeders are ethical, but not all of us are unethical either.

I agree.

We don't have red pedigrees to sell our dogs, we don't mass produce and sell to pet stores and brokers, therefore we have to sell good quality puppies or our reputations will prevent us from selling anything.

Well I wish I could agree with this but I can't...as an example how many people made the Dane brothers wealthy of the backs of dogs who were very unhealthy...Most people rush out and buy a puppy on a whim so as they say...there is a sucker born every minute. Also I have found many breeders will never tell on other poor breeders because it is all about the $$$ and no one cares if a few dogs die. I think you can be the worse breeder ever (we see it everyday on here) and people will still buy dogs from them.This includes showbreeders as well.

So although going into the ring will help to evaluate your dog on the outside, it does not guarentee a quality dog on the inside.

I believe this is somewhat true but I will tell you I was at a dog show (IABCA-AKC judge) and the judge kicked out a dog due to runny eyes. I also saw many dogs not get their orange card due to poor structure (which can affect the health of a dog) and the way the dog walked.

I feel that breeding for looks and ignoring all else is far worse than breeding a non standard color.

Totally agree and that is why I followed the whole BBC/Crufts thing to see what England and their Kennel Club would do and god bless them they have a heart and are making changes to the standards of many of these breeds that are suffering. It hasn't happen here yet but I believe it will one day. I believe if people would start going after breeders in the courts for the quality of dog they were sold you would see changes. Health should always be the number one priority. I loved how in England they are going to make the judges responsible for some of this...as they should. I have always hated AKC for their "turning a blind eye" to suffering of our dogs.
I also wonder how long it will be before the yorkie show dogs go the way of so many other breeds.

Actually I think some things are getting better for the Yorkies because of the internet and how the general public can read about everything that is going on and is getting educated to all issues. 10-20 years ago LS was not even discussed and it took one breeder (Teri Shumsky) to come out of the closet and become a champion of educating people on this awful disease. While I can see show breeders getting upset about the BBC documentary it is making them clean up their act and that can only be good for the dogs. As long as people have dirty little secrets it will never change. Most of the nations dogs are breed by people who bred for demand (i.e. the tinies because this is what the public wants) and will change if the public changes.

I cannot speak for other hobby breeders, but my contract states that I will take my puppies back for any reason.
As it should be, as far as I am concerned. If you are going to be bringing living creatures into this world you have a responsibility to these dogs. I don't believe it should be the government (shelters) or rescue responsibility to pay for all of these animals = which means us (taxes or donations) should have to pay for this. I would love to see a system where every dog that goes into a shelter/rescue the breeder would have to pay for the expense of finding it a new home. The animals would not be euthanized (as I could see breeder doing this) but a new home found as long as the animal was evaluated and deemed to be a good pet. I have never understood why the breeder makes $$$ but then is never responsible for these dogs again but I am as a taxpayer or a person who gives donations to rescue. I do not understand where my rights come in...I hear breeders talking about their right to breed anything they want and anytime they want.... sorry this is from another post that drives me nuts.....but with over 5million animals being put down every year someone is sucking in the $$$ and I (along with other taxpayers) am paying for it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!