View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
Sorry but non-show breeders do the same things...and many breed out of standard on size, breed LP and other issues etc. I also know many that never do any testing of their dogs and they have buried Liver Shunt just as much. All I have to do is look at a breeders contract to know if they really care about their dogs and their ethics...their contract's will state that they will always take the dog back ... no matter what.

It is all about the ethics of the breeders and if they are trying to produce the very best no matter what the cost is. I happen to believe that you will never know if you are producing the best unless you go into the showring. You can never understand the structure or the movement of a dog from pictures and it is always helpful to have other eyes look your dogs over. This is my opinion.
You make a very valid point. But as we have seen, getting that ribbon does not mean that you have bred a healthy dog.

We hobby breeders have to maintain a reputation or our puppies would not sell. Not all holbby breeders are ethical, but not all of us are unethical either.

We don't have red pedigrees to sell our dogs, we don't mass produce and sell to pet stores and brokers, therefore we have to sell good quality puppies or our reputations will prevent us from selling anything.

So although going into the ring will help to evaluate your dog on the outside, it does not guarentee a quality dog on the inside.

I feel that breeding for looks and ignoring all else is far worse than breeding a non standard color.

I also wonder how long it will be before the yorkie show dogs go the way of so many other breeds.

I cannot speak for other hobby breeders, but my contract states that I will take my puppies back for any reason.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!