View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
jvdb
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Potty Training Trouble & cold weather... What do you do?

I have a little male yorkie and a little female papillon, both about 4.5 lb. I live in Manitoba, Canada and the winters are often -30C (22F) or worse. I decided to litter box train my little guys and have been only moderatly successful.

Our male is over a year and very consistent with the litter box but often pees in front of it.

Our female is almost 8 months and uses the litter box half the time - she looks very guilty when she doesn't use it but still decides to use the floor for some odd reason. She often doesnt use the litter box if it is dirty, but I clean it twice a day - she just likes it to be spotless.

I've tried pee pads but have the same issues - plus they smell very strong of urine quite quickly.

Should I train them to go outside or am I going to regret it because they simply won't be able to handle the cold for more than a minute at a time? My cousin recently switched from pee pad training her year old 7 lb s**tzu mix to outside training had has had very good results - but he's much sturdier than my delicate little guys.

Any suggestions?
jvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!