View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
bettyeanne
Donating YT 7000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti View Post
The shelter I volunteer at went to a Missouri puppy mill dog auction yesterday and were able to pull 20 dogs. 2 Havanese are going to the Havanese rescue today, the rest were shizu's cairn terriers, 2 maltese, dorkies and italian greyhounds, a pom and a yorkie. The yorkie was 5 years old and so terrified that they were not going to let her go for awhile. I applied to be a foster for the 3 1/2 month old female pom and was approved, Yikes! I am suppossed to get her tomorrow after she is groomed. This is my first time fostering anything. I read the stick on fostering on the Rescue forum but since she is so young I wonder if she will have different issues. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
God bless you, Patti!! I don't know anything about Pom's but if they are, emotionally, anything like Yorkies she will probably be scared of everything at first. We got 9 from the Arkansas mill bust and it was heartbreaking and took some of them a long time to rehab. Fortunately for you the little one is so young it will probably be easier. I would suggest that you give her quiet, a "safe" place [small carrier with a blanket and the door left open or removed], food & water and let her just observe and explore for a couple of days. If you have an uncarpeted area that would clean up easy as you work on potty training that would be great. Some of ours were most terrified of grass!! Hopefully she will aclimate to the sounds and routine of your home quickly! This isn't much advice but we're here if we can help! Good luck and I'm looking forward to hearing all about your little one.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!