Thread: Crate training
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #6
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYorkie
I didn't use this method, but from what I've read the idea is to start with about 20 minutes free time followed by 20 minutes crate time, then out to potty. You gradually extend both the free time and the crate time so that they learn to hold it for longer and longer. Hopefully, your pup is one will be reluctant to "mess up" her crate. You want to try very hard to avoid accidents in the crate.

I crate trained and this is the correct method. It helped me to have the crate inside of an x-pen. I would use the x-pen area as an extension of the crate. If I was going to be out of her site more than 15 minutes, she went inside the crate. If I was going to be busy but not for longer than 10-15 minutes; take a shower, go to the bathroom, that sort of thing( and After she had just gone potty) I would put her in her x-pen with the crate door open. So at some point her x-pen became an extension of her crate and she would not/does not go potty in the x-pen, now no matter how long I have her in there (just like the crate).
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!