View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

Hi,

I have a Westie and a Yorkie and they steal each others toys all the time. Usually, it's the Westie - he's bigger and the more dominant) and he will just walk right over and take them out of her mouth. Gently. He gets all the good toys and take them up on his chair where she can't reach them. She is ok with that because he is the alpha dog. Every now and then she will surprise him and jump high enough to get onto his chair.

Remember - it's not his toys or her toys but THEIR toys now.

Of course, the only toy she wants to play with will be the one he has at the moment despite how many toys are on the floor!

They are too funny. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you hear extreme yelping or fighting sounds. Try not to intervene unless you have to.

Mine growl at each other the whole time they are playing - sounds terrible - but it is just play.

Every now and then the Westie will display some dominance when she steps over the line and THAT is scary to me. He will stand over top of her and growl like crazy and she will roll onto her back. BUT he has never bitten her and that would be a situation in which I would definitely step in if he did.

Sometimes I can tell that the Westie's play has gotten too rough for Lucy; I can see her trying to hide or run away and that's when it's time to distract them with something else or find a new game to play - or maybe just everyone needs to settle down for a little nap. The Westie starts to get very excited after they play for a while and he's jumping all around her and over top of her and she gets scared. That's when we find a different game to play.

But mine have a huge size difference that you won't have to worry about.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Ringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!