View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Lolli_lah
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmom052709 View Post
Lolli - I am so happy to hear you found someone to help you out! Good luck! I am looking for schools and I am thinking about doing one online. I found it through the petgroomer.com website. There are a couple of schools here in Ohio, but way too expensive! Anyway, just wanted to say good luck!
I never went to school. This is the alternative, well kinda as schooling isn't actually 'necessary'. None of the groomers that are there or that they know other places went to schools, either. Not to mention there are none in my area and the online ones are just as expensive as the ones 2+ hours away.

Apprenticing at a place gets you the same practice and experience. You learn from watching and hands-on, and the lady instructing me even has a book or two on grooming that we are going to be going through. Some places will pay you for any of the work you do but she had already hired an apprentice and couldn't take on another for pay, so I volunteered to do it for free in return for her teachings. And of course I don't get any tool kits out of the deal but it's ok they share there anyway.

You should try that rather than doing online school. You really won't get much hands-on experience via online school unless you did it alongside apprenticing somewhere or something, but then paying the thousands of dollars for schooling would be a waste as you'd learn the same things just by apprenticing.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!