View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
Tate weighs exactly 4 1/2 pounds & is 11 months today (happy birthday, little man!).

I've never measured his moisture intake, I just notice he's at the water bowl more often. But now that I think about it, he usually just has a couple of laps of water where the others will stand there a drink quite a bit at one time.

The doctor did a urinalysis and said it was normal (this was several weeks ago & can't remember everything he said but he did say Tate seemed perfectly healthy to him).

He hasn't had raw in 3 to 4 weeks. No canned food in that time, either.

He was trained right from the start to use the doggie door or puppy pads, so I've never asked him to hold it - he's always been able to just go.

The general rule is an ounce of water per pound of dog per day. So he should drink somewhere around 4.5 ounces a day when eating only kibble (give or take depending on the dog). So maybe about 1/2 cup. The only way to make sure that he isn't seriously over drinking is to separate the dogs for a day and measure it. If you think he is peeing more than he should, then maybe he is dirnking more than he should. It could be that he is just a thirsty dog, but if he is drinking way too much, some things would have to be considered like diabetes insipidus.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!