View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Dame
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisann View Post
Hi. well today I thought I would have another go at his nails. I groomed him as usual..gave him his treats..then continued to sit him on my knee to just take the tips of his nails...Well...to say he acted like a complete frenzied wild animal..is an understatement. I can't understand his behavious..he has let me do it before when he was a bit younger. I know everyone says he shouldn't get the better of me...but this is the first Yorkie I have owned that has seriously tried to bite me....and at nearly 9 months old it is a bit much .!!!

He can be so very loving when he wants to be. but I do believe he will bite ...I even tried placing a towel over him to get his feet..but that made him worse..

I think I may need to muzzle him to do his nails....Has anyone done this to their Yorkie...can't believe I need to ask this... makes me sad really.!!

Chris x
When I first got Winston he was pretty much the same way. His nails was ridiculously long - even after I had the vet cut them because of how long they had been growing for. He fought me tooth and nail when it was time to trim, and even burritoing him didn't help. Since he squirmed and fought so much I gave up on the clippers and switched to grinding. (I have one of those little motorized "manicure kits" and I find the grit nail tool works just as well at the dremel - which I have too, but bigger in my hand.) This helped us a lot because when he moves I can't accidentally hit the quick - but you do need to make sure you don't hit the pads.) It worked really well in getting him used to having his feet and his nails touched in a way that's not painful. (Not that nail clipping is, but if he flinches or moves and you cut the quick its not fun for them.

After 4 months of doing it every other day (little bits at a time) I can actually clip his nails with a clipper as long as I am quick about it.

If you have a really had time with it, I would suggest bringing him to your vet or groomer for a nail trim. Shouldn't cost you a whole lot either. It will make sure his nails don't get too long while you two try to work things out, and perhaps it will help him get adjusted and realize its not so scary.
Dame is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!