View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy-yorkie View Post
The dog trainer we had for Buster told us take him out on a leash when we took him out to potty and take him to the same place. Pick a word you want to use when you want them to potty (I tell them pee-pee or potty). You might have to stay out there for 20 minutes or so. I know that seems like a long time, but it's so worth it. If you take them on a leash and stay with them, they aren't chasing bugs or playing. After they potty you can take the leash off and let them play or bring them back in. It seemed to work for Buster, he was pretty easy to potty train. He got a lot of praise and lot of treats when he pottied outside. By the time we got Maggie we had a dog door, but you still have to teach them to use the door to go out if that is where you want them to go. We still have accidents, found a "surprise" on the rug when I got home today. If I find it after the fact, I just clean it up, I don't say anything. If I catch them while it's happening, I say their name and try to get them out to the spot where they are to potty. At this point, it doesn't matter where they potty outside, just so it's outside . I still take them out in the morning when we first get up. I want to make sure they go outside and not stop on the way out!
This is good advice. The only tweak I would suggest is don't use their name when you are correcting any behavior. I was told this associates their name to scolding instead of it being their name. That's why I use no or "oh oh" or something like that. That way they know the behavior is wrong and they won't think name= I did bad.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!