View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naya69 View Post
but i always know when she has had a wee outside because the hairs of her lady bits are wet if that makes any sense so then i give her praise

Looking at her lady bits is a bit after the fact. If you praise her then way after she's gone pee pee then she won't associate the praise for the act. Instead of thinking "YAY! I did a good job" she's actually thinking "Wow, mom's in a good mood."
I think for her to really get it you need to catch her in the act. When I was trying to curb Kaji's marking I had to catch him in the act or else he wouldn't get it. When I saw him lift his leg inside I would double clap and say a firm "NO" as a way to interrupt what he was doing. The no cannot be said in a freaked out mad tone. It just needs to be firm. Like marcerella02 said, if you yell in anger, all that will produce is a scared pup that will hide her accidents better, with no positive results for you. As soon as I interrupt with the no I'd quickly pick him up and literally run outside and put him on the grass. As soon as I saw him squat or lift his leg outside he'd get tons of praise. That way he'd associate inside no pee, even if it's marking, and outside yes to peeing and marking.
You're situation is a little different but it doesn't change the fact watching them like a hawk and setting them up to win is the best way to teach them. Take your baby out as many times as possible for you to take her. Stay out there 20 mins if that's what it takes but watch her the entire time. If you see her squat for a pee, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE!!! and even give her a little treat. That way she will definitely associate her going pee outside makes mom very very happy. When she's inside you still have to watch her. If you can't watch her every minute, do as other's suggested and put her in her crate of x-pen so she's safe, she's in her space which she is going to try to keep clean. She's in the learning phase still at only 3 months old, but eventually she'll get it just be consistent and trust me you'll get her there!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!