View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Pinehaven
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkyDiva View Post
Some of the color variations of Yorkies are believed to be carriers of the particular color, whether Parti, Golden, Chocolate, etc. Isn't it true that if you breed carrier to carrier (in whatever color) that, yes you will get carriers, but you will not know which dogs carry those genes?
And if you breed carrier to whichever particular color, say Parti, will all the puppies be carriers?
But if you have dogs that supposedly carry the gene from supposedly this color or that, will you get all carriers, or will you not know which puppies carry which?
Theoretically, yes, if you breed a traditional to either a parti, chocolate or golden colored yorkie, all the pups will be carriers of that color.

Breeding carrier to carrier, you'll get approximately 25% pups who received a copy of the gene from both parents and the pup is parti, chocolate or golden colored (depending on the carriers colorful gene), 50% will be carriers who received 1 gene from either it's mother or father and 25% did not receive the gene from either parent. So basically 3/4 of the pups will look traditional in color, some are carrier and some are not.

With the parti gene, I'd say you have a fair shot at guessing which one are carriers and which are not. The ones with white blazes on their chests and chins and toes are probably the carriers, the ones with very little to no white are likely not to be carriers.

I was recently told that pups who carry the gold gene, "at 2 wks of age, all across the top and back of the heads on these puppies are all gold." I don't know how accurate this is since I've not experienced it, but I did have a litter this year, where one of the pups did start breaking tan at 2 weeks. Mom and dad are not known to carry the gold gene but I may try breeding Mom to my golden male to see if she may be carrying the gold gene.

I hope this helped answer your question?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!