View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

If you do a quck search of even recent posts, you'll see a lot of into about introducing two dogs. I got a lot of advice here and from City Data forums.

The best advice I got to avoid a jealous dog was this: treat your oldest as if he were the KING. He must be greeted first; held first; fed first; let out first; walked first . . . you get the idea. EVERYTHING FIRST for your oldest so he knows he has not lost his status.

Your new puppy will be so cute! But sometimes you must resist all that cuteness and not pay more attention to your new pup than your older dog.

I have a dominant Westie before we added our yorkie. We took things slowly. They were first only allowed together in the yard; then eventually in our living room. (Neutral zone - no food bowls - no toys, etc). Then we progressed to the rest of the house. All food bowls were picked up; bones; and favorite toys in the beginning.

Your oldest may show dominance to your puppy to let her know he is boss. For now, he probably is. Try not to intervene too much in their interactions. Sometimes, shows of dominance sound scary but as long as there are no bites and CERTAINLY NO BLOOD DRAWN - try not to 'rescue' your puppy every time unless it's really necessary. This will allow them to establish their pecking order.

Good luck! Your dogs may be easy to introduce and you won't need any advice. Sometimes it works out that way and sometimes it requires a little more patience and work.
Ringo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!