View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymom View Post
Brit, since you got Jackson at only nine weeks, I'm guessing he didn't come from a knowledgeable breeder. Puppies need lots of human contact and handling in those early weeks to grow up to be properly socialized adults. Was he raised in a kennel instead of home raised?

It's sounds like you have done a wonderful job of socializing Jackson since you've had him. He may just not be able to overcome his shyness with strange people.
He was 9 weeks old but he was also already 5.1lbs at 9 weeks old, he's my big 12.5lb boy now He also never had biting issues or anything, which I was real surprised about. No, he didn't come from a reputable breeder but he was never kenneled. She just had an ex-pen in her basement. She was definitely what you define as a BYB but she was really nice. I went to her house to pick him up and all the dogs were running loose in her basement (mother and littermates) and I think that was all they had ever seen... no real experiences with kids or other ppl. She definitely was not the kind of breeder to expose to new things. Her female dog had just gotten pregnant. I definitely know better now and my next dog will come from a responsible, respectable breeder but of course, I wouldn't change Jackson for the world... besides the shyness thing, of course He's really the perfect dog in nearly every sense except this issue. I guess it's just something we'll have to work on and if not... I will accept him for who he is.

Thanks for everyone's stories and tips!

Last edited by Britster; 11-30-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!