View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
ziggy925
YT 500 Club Member

Default Crate vs. Pen Help me

I have both a crate and a large folding crate the size of a pen (I can crawl in there and take a nap). I'd like to be able to put him in the pen when I go out, and I don't really care if he soils the pen. I'd like to be able to put him in the crate for traveling and a time out. I don't mind him sleeping in my bed. Basically, I'd like to be able to use either without him barking and crying.

A friend tells my I'm confusing him by trying to use both. I started putting him in the crate and wearing earplugs, but I think he thinks he was being punished, so I now have the top of the crate off, and I've been throwing treats in there for him. Soon I'll put the top on, with the door open, and continue this.

As for the pen: I just put him in there with a bunch of toys and he starts crying in about 3 minutes when he can't see me. I've been throwing toys in there with the door open and he runs in and gets the toys, so he's not afraid of the pen.

I have no idea what I'm doing. He's 3 months old and I've never had a dog before. Am I doing too much too soon? Should I get him used to one then work on the other. If so, which one first? I don't know.

Thanks.
ziggy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!