View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Unhappy I wish Jackson liked people more

I really wish Jackson liked people more. I don't understand it, really, because ever since I got him at 9 weeks old, I've socialized him around all sorts of people. He's WONDERFUL with people he knows (even if he only sees them once a month or less...) as long as he knows you, he will jump up, lick you, greet you like crazy (people like my aunt, grandma, parents, siblings, etc). I posted this thread which describes him to a tee http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/gen...hy-yorkie.html and I was happy to see others have the problem.

The funny thing is when we're at the dog park, he's pretty much fine with people and will approach them willingly. He loves every dog he meets and if your a human with a dog, you're good in his book, lol.

But for example, tonight... (I live at home with stepdad, mom and sister) my step-dad had his family over. It was his mother, 2 sisters, teenage girl, 3 year old girl and 10 year old boy who were all very well behaved. Jackson will go up and sniff them but the minute they try to pet him he cowers or backs away. He was just very uncomfortable and it was obvious to me. If a strange kid he doesn't know runs really fast, he begins barking at them. Now after about 30 minutes - 1 hour of them being here, he becomes a lot more relaxed. He will even do tricks in front of everyone no problem. He just has an issue with people approaching him or petting him or even making eye contact. I gave him little bits of treats when he did the right thing and asked the one kid to give him a treat which he took but still wouldn't allow a petting. I feel like this has gotten worse since my mom's dog died and now he's the only dog. It's almost like he's unsure of what to do. I'd love to add a 2nd dog who is very friendly and outgoing to everyone and I do think it would help but I don't think adding a 2nd dog is possible right now. Plus, I wouldn't want Jackson to be an influence on the new dog. Jackson's a very great dog otherwise, he doesn't bark at strangers on walks or at the park or in public places. He's well behaved. He'd just prefer people to not pay attention to him.

I don't know, I'm not expecting him to love every one he meets but I would love if he was a bit friendlier and not so shy. He's such a cute dog and people want to pet him. I'm just wondering if people have overcome such an issue, or if it's more of a personality thing that you can't change?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!