Thread: 15 pound yorkie
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #45
cj125
Mia, Max and Moe's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post

I'm saying that there is more risk to the mother in breeding tiny females, and that they have fewer pups. Larger bitches have larger litters, in general, and are more likely to deliver safely...they also bear bigger pups. Puppy mills are certainly doing this bigtime.

So, breeders that are not specifically trying for show quality or to improve the breed make out okay financially because they have more puppies to sell. Many breed tiny males to large females, attempting to keep the size down, while still getting a large, healthy litter.

The extreme popularity of Yorkies has caused the proliferation of backyard breeders, who seem most inclined to do this. I'm fine with pet quality dogs (
the larger guys have got to be sturdier around kids, for example) as long as their breeders don't charge the same amount as if they were bred to standard. AKC standard is "must not exceed 7 pounds."

My biggest worry in all this is genetic defects. If a breeder is paying no attention to bloodlines, then LP and a gazillion other inherited defects continue to be exacerbated in the breed. Unfortunately, that seems to be a growing problem in Yorkies. Now, I'm not saying that ALL amateur breeders don't know or care about these matters, but clearly a lot of them don't.

My Chorkie, Zoey, is certainly a little mystery package. I just cross my fingers and enjoy her.

I agree - but it goes both ways. A lot of the byb/puppymillers do breed tinies so that they can get the BIG $$$ - they just breed more often and more dogs. The bottom line is that they are not breeding to the standard. Too big - too little. They're just breeding to breed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!