View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
ziggy925
YT 500 Club Member

Default Crate training - don't know what I'm doing

I really need to crate train this little guy. He's three months old, and some articles say it's too early, but my neighbor, who shows dogs, says to do it now and fast.

Night before last I put him in his crate, had to push him in there, and he whined and cried for about 1.5 hours then settled down. The crate was next to my bed, where he's been sleeping (in bed with me). He awoke at dawn and started barking again. I left him alone until 7am and let him out and took him outside. I think he's beyond using the crate for housebreaking as he now goes outside before I used the crate. Only one or two piddles in the house so far. Not bad!

Last night it was into the crate again, had to force him, and he cried and barked again for about 1.5 hours. Up again at dawn. My girlfriend said when she crate trained her dog she slept on the floor with him, so what the heck, I put the crate on the bed in front of my face and he settled right down.

What am I doing wrong or right? Should I start over by tossing a few treats in there during the day and start the night training later?

I really don't mind if he sleeps with me, but I'd like the option of not, and I really need to get him so I can leave the house for awhile. Fortunately I don't work 9-5, and have days I can spend with him nonstop.

He always wants to be with me (I've only had him four days) and barks when he can't see me, but yesterday was a little better. My neighbors are going to kill me if I don't get a handle on this. Otherwise, he's not much of a barker.

Thanks
ziggy925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!