Thread: 15 pound yorkie
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #43
cj125
Mia, Max and Moe's Mom
Donating Member

First, let me say that I love animals - especially dogs and cats. It doesn't matter to me what breed or size.... I just love animals.

I'd like to try to address some of the comments I read here.

There are "breed standards" for each breed set by the AKC (American Kennel Club) and each breed's specific club, such as the YTCA (Yorkshire Terrier Club of America). There are reasons they have "standards". "Showing" is at the beginning of setting breed standards. People show to establish that their lines are "breed standard" and worthy of being bred.

Imagine being a senior citizen living in an apt and the rental agreement says that you are only allowed to have a dog weighing "no more than 10 pds". So, you do your research and find that a Chihuahua would suit you perfectly because they are only suppose to weigh "no more than 6 pds" and they would be light enough for you to pick up and take care of for the next 15 years. You buy a Chi with an AKC registration thinking that it will fit within the standards - right? What do you do when the dog reaches 20 pds?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/chihuahua/index.cfm

It might not seem like an issue for some but most people want to know what they're buying. Some people hunt and want a dog that has natural instincts to do that. Some people have small children and want a small yet sturdy dog with a really good temperament. Some people want their houses guarded and they feel the size of their dog is important.

People have a right to know what they're buying. When you get a AKC registered dog you should be getting a dog, that for the most part, fits into the standard set forth by AKC/Breed Club. If I want to buy a French Bull dog I certainly don't want to end up with a Bull Mastiff.

If it doesn't matter... then that's wonderful. There are tons of beautiful, lovable dogs in shelter and rescues that are just waiting to be loved.

Don't get me wrong - there will always be puppies that turn out larger or smaller than standard - even from the best breeders. Nothing to be ashamed of or insulted by - that's just nature's way. Neither one of my babies are "standard" and no one could love them more.

I think the reason people comment on our Yorkies is because they don't know what a Yorkie is really suppose to look like. With it's popularity in the last 10 years most people think they should be 2 pds and fit in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan lynn View Post
I agree, my boy was 6.3 lbs at 13 weeks old. Now he is 11-12 lbs. I asked my vet to be sure he was a yorkie and he said of course he is. He is just standard and perfect.
http://www.ytca.org/standard2.html
http://www.akc.org/breeds/yorkshire_terrier/index.cfm
I'm sure it's hard for vets to know the standard for every breed and it certainly doesn't take away the love you have for him or that he's a Yorkie but he's not within the standard at 11/12 pds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
I think a lot of the larger Yorkies come about because breeding the big bitches is safer and creates larger litters for sale. There may be a premium paid for the smaller, show quality dogs, but the breeders of larger dogs make it up in volume and safety for the birthing females.
Could you please explain what you're saying here? I don't understand what you're getting at.

Unless you are planning to show...what does it matter? They're all great and have the fabulous Yorkie temperament and look. I don't even care about breed purity...I now have a Chorkie and she's one of the most wonderful pooches I've ever known.

Last edited by cj125; 11-27-2009 at 08:40 PM.
cj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!