View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
alnatmom
Yorkie Talker

We got Jack at 14 weeks and used absolutely no treats - only praise- to housebreak him and to train him to sit/stay/down etc. We used the book "How to train your dog in 7 days" and, although it took a few weeks, it was very successful. He's just over 7 months old now and is completely housebroken. Like your puppy, he just didn't care for any of the treats we offered him but we made a huge deal about praising him both verbally and by petting him when he went to the bathroom outside.

We were feeding him three times a day during his housebreaking and he slept in a crate at night (and still does). I am home during the day so I kept him on a leash and he followed me from room to room (and he still does that too) so that I could always watch him. We also trained him to ring a bell when he wants to go outside. He does this but he will also ring it now if he's bored and thinks that going outside would be a nice change of pace!

We can't let him out into our yard alone because he could slip through the rails on the fence. So we take him out, through the same door every time, to do his business. I think that's helpful if you can do it because then they know where they need to go. If we go to someone else's house we take the bells with us (they hang on the doorknob) so he knows what door to use.

Good luck with your little guy!
alnatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!