View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
TOY
Donating YT 500 Club Member

You can rub Karo syrup on the gums or tongue (or roof of mouth) if you're wanting to get their blood sugar up. We were on the road a couple of months ago and I thought I had Nutrical with us but didn't so after ours got carsick, I worried about blood sugar, etc. (Worried even more when I couldn't find what I thought I'd packed.)

I got funny looks but we stopped at a convenience store off the interstate and I bought a sucker for her. The clerk looked at me like I was totally crazy but I figured it was probably primarily made with sugar and water and she did lick it a little. Later on down the road I had a better idea and had my husband pull into a McDonald's, buy pancakes, and threw the pancakes away. Used the syrup. (I actually did tell him to try to just buy a packet of syrup but being the "man" he is, he wouldn't ask. He seems to think some of my ideas are a bit out there...LOL I operate under the premise that people will help if they can even if it is a weird request.)

Also, when Taffy (or other animals or even children) will not drink water and you're trying to keep them hydrated, a popsicle or even an ice cube for them to lick will help at least get a tiny bit of fluid in. Our Yorkie LOVES ice cubes. Unfortunately, she "hides" them and thinks we steal them since they are not there when she goes back! (Her expression of bewilderment is so cute when it's gone.)

Back to your problem though, I would go to the vet tomorrow just for peace of mind myself. I have heard of giving a tiny bit of Pepto for such but you'd better check that out since I have no clue as to the amount. We are lucky that ours primarily only vomits on road trips (well, there was that time we induced it with peroxide) and has never had an upset stomach or even very loose stools. From what I read on here, we are very lucky.
TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!