View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
lubowiem
Yorkie Talker

Default Bella refuses to walk on a leash and doesn't like the outdoors at all

New here and new to yorkies. We just got a 11 month old (Bella) as a little sister to our 2 1/2 year old cairn terrier (Max) about a month ago. So far they get along great. The problem I am having, is that Bella will not walk on a leash. If I pick up the leash at all, she drops to the ground and flattens her self into a pancake. If I drop the leash (while indoors) she will get up and go about her business without a care in the world, but if I pick it back up, she's right back to "pancake mode". Outdoors is even worse. We go outside, and even if I'm not holding the leash, she's right on the ground.

Max, as well as other dogs I've had in the past never had this problem. They weren't necessarily the best on the leash at first (always pulled too much,) but they all got with the program eventually.

I've tried to get her used to the leash by letting her wear one (with the end loop cut off) around the house as recommended by a dog trainer. She's fine with this until I pick up the end.

Since she is pad/paper trained, this isn't a pressing issue and I have time to work on this, but it would be nice to be able to take both dogs out for walks.

So does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Bella refuses to walk on a leash and doesn't like the outdoors at all-bella_1.jpg  
lubowiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!