View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Fergies Mommy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
LOL she's one of those huh?

This works on Uni when we are playing. If sh'es hyped up and doesn't want to come inside, I run AWAY from her. I make sure she sees me. I stand there looking at her, then all of a sudden I take off running. she will be like, Hey where are you going? and run after me. At first I ran backwards/sideways so I still have an eye on her, but now I don't have to do that, I know she will come. If she is attached to you, she will follow.

Also i think practice on the come command indoors too. Have her favorite treat in your pocket. and when you are just walking around in the house and happen to see her, say "Fergie come here", hold the treat in one hand where she can see it, and with your other hand do a "come here" motion. when she sees the treat she will come.
I tried the running thing. It worked when I first got her when she was more of my shadow but now she's not having that lol

our trainer told us to use one command for come. She happens to like "front" as she says, we use "come" to often such as - come here, come on and so forth. Always treat when she comes to you.

Quote:
The other thing that we were taught was, if they are being stubborn, touch your eyes to make sure they are looking at you and then say come. Nothing else. You may wait a few moments but they eventually learn you are dominant and will follow your command. Do not keep saying "come" or "front" or whatever over and over as this will teach them it's okay to hear several times before listening to you. Hot Rod and I have had our staring contests in the hallway but I always win out. Good luck.
The eye contact sounds like a good idea. She's pretty good at looking me in the eyes when I call her name.

I have training treats that she loves so I will just start to incorporate those more. Thanks guys!
Fergies Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!