View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
stormcarver
YorkieTalk Newbie!

We brought Zachary home yesterday evening. What a mess the poor guy is! But a trooper, too!

It was a 4 hour car ride back to Charleston, and he did very well. We couldn't get him to eat or drink on the way, but I kind of expected that. We got him home and left him with our teenager, as our younger kiddo had an appointment, then we had to pick up our other 2 dogs at the boarding kennel.

We introduced the dogs one at a time. Our Rat Terrier, Ripley, tends to be shy, so we introduced him first. They seemed to do well and even played a bit, tentatively, after a while.

Zachary was a different story with Maia, our GSD, though. We had been told that he was used to large dogs. However, he is afraid of her on sight, even though she approaches him slowly and is very careful. Zach shows his teeth to her immediately and will growl, yap, and rush her if she get close to him. Maia is very frustrated at this point, and we are trying to keep her calm and comforted. Since this worked with Maia, he also used it with Ripley, who is now thoroughly intimidated. We are soothing Rip's hurt feelings - he had thought he'd found a friend. We are hoping they work it out in the long run.

We actually got Zachary to eat last night! Granted, it was almost 11pm and because he really wanted potato chips, but we got him to eat real dog food! I hadn't expected him to want to eat so soon after all he had been through. (Apparently, they have had him eating Pedigree and Kibbles & Bits dry food *shudder*)

Took him to the vet this morning. He has a fungal infection, a full-blown skin infection, an ear infection, his teeth are horrible, and he has flea issues...but...he has no internal parasites of any kind. So now he has a medicated shampoo, a couple different anti-biotics, ear drops, an ear wash, and, of course, flea and heart worm meds. Poor kid! I would be cranky, too!

I have a picture of him posted to my FB here: Zachary (should be viewable by everyone, with or without a Facebook page) We are gong to hold off on taking him to the groomer until his skin is better.

I am so glad he is home, and am looking forward to him feeling better and all the dogs starting to build some sort of relationship.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
stormcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!