View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Zoeys Mommy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Love Homemade Low Protein Cookie Treats For Liver Shunt/Liver Dysplasia

My Zoey unfortunately suffers from Multiple Liver Dysplasia - She is under continuous medical care. I have been having trouble finding Low Protein Cookie Treats, which I want her to have. (Low Protein for her liver condition, cookie treat to reward her and show her love, and crunchy so that her teeth have the abrasiveness to help reduce tartar --of course in addition to her regular home dental home care). My vet finally suggested that I take the "Wet" Canned version of her Low Protein dry food and bake little cookies from it. (Her Low Protein food is Hills Prescription Diet "L/D" - comes "dry" in bag or "wet" in can).
SHE ABSOLUTELY LOVES THEM! Let me share what I have discovered: First of all, if you have access to a Barbeque, use it - cause
these cookies really stink when baking them, but once baked they are fine. I cook them at approx. 350 for approx. 15 mins. ea. side - use your judgement, but what you want is all the moisture baked out so that they are extremely dry and crunchy. I baked them on the upper bun rack in my barbeque. I use a small teflon cookie sheet. Once baked, store in air tight bag or containner. Recipe: Open can of the wet dog food - Then cut it into 3 separate sections, I do this so that I can make 3 separate flavored cookies, but the plain is just fine also, Zoey loves it! So take 1 of the sections and mush it up in a bowl until it is somewhat like a dough -now flatten it out with your hand on something flat (cutting board, cookie sheet, counter) - must be very very flat so that when baking, it is able to crisp-up. I take a plastic top from a bottle of soda and use it like a cookie cutter on the flatten doughy product, and then go ahead and cut up into little circle cookies. Now if you wish with the other 2 sections left from the can of dog food, you can do the same, but add something for a little flavor and variety - but keep in mind, it must be a Low Protein addition. I add plain potato from a baked potato, or plain sweet potato, also my vet stated Low Fat Plain cottage cheese is good for her also, so I add it to a batch also. Remember add just a little of the addition for a little flavor. SHE LOVES THEM ALL!
-Good Luck -Good Health -Good Ideas
Zoeys Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!