View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
YorkieMom6
♥ Luv Zoey & Austen! ♥
Donating Member

I am new to this and had the same questions. This is what I chose to do.

I am using exercise pens. I got a few of them and make odd shapes so the sides stand nicely. The odd shapes make them difficult to measure but one is approximately 90" X 60" but in an odd rectangle/bean shape. I also have three levels and thus, wanted to have them on all levels of the house. This was a bit expensive though and I am sure not everyone needs the same elaborate set-up.

Then my husband and I went to Lowe's and found some inexpensive linoleum. We cut this to shape however; I would recommend cutting it in a rectangle or square because these xpens move some. The linoleum is easy to cut and since my preferred location is on carpet, it allows for easy cleanup and use of a steam mop every weekend.

I then have a bed area in each one. The xpen in the master and living room have crates that can be closed. The xpen in the basement workout room is open and is where she gets most of her extensive exercise. I always shut her in her crate at bedtime and plan to use this to teach outside potty training in the spring. For now, we are using potty pads entirely and they are kept in the exercise pen, at the opposite end from where her bed is. I put a paper pad on top of the potty pad because she happens to use the paper more for pooping and the cloth for peeing. This is great in my opinion, because the paper is so much easier for cleanup when it is a messy one. Zoey has had no problem at all switching from newspaper training from her breeder to this new system. I worried about the distance, but it never has been a problem.

Note, we have had an occasion where there was a poopy mess. This was mostly my fault with too many carrots used as treats. Hence, I have cut those back considerably. Anyway, the messy cleanup is a challenge as we all can relate to however, the xpen, linoleum, and extra beds on other levels; made this manageable!!

Wow - that was an elaborate explanation for a newbie LOL

Maybe something in there will help you - I hope so anyway!

~Denise
YorkieMom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!