View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #14
LAS
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036 Another newbie - seeking some advice on purchasing a puppy.

Hello All:

Hi. I am new to yorkietalk as well and am in the same position as Sharon. I met some folks who had a couple of yorkies and fell in love with them and I am now looking to purchase a puppy.

I did a lot of research on the breed and found a breeder in my area. Last week I went to see the puppies. There are just a few things that concerned me maybe you can put my mind to rest. Everyone says to look for an active and responsive puppy but the puppies I am looking at are only about six weeks old, the breeder will release them at eight weeks. They don't have any visible signs of health issues but there are not that active. How responsive should a puppy be at that age? I can't get a sense of their personality but am a little concern that the parents are a little timid. Environment vs. heredity - which plays a greater role in the puppies disposition?

The mother's coat seems pretty nice but the father's coat is a little dull. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the quality of food. The breeder said she is feeding them Purina One.

Finally, the breeder is not docking (is that correct spelling?) the puppies tails. She said she used to do that but it is no longer a strict standard for the breed. If I wanted it docked I suppose I could have the vet do it.

I appreciate any thoughts you to offer.

Lisa
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!