View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
JKTex
Yorkie Yakker

When our first was small, if I needed to leave him, it would be penned up in the kitchen with pads. it's large so he had plenty of space, his bed and pad that he didn't always hit. We bought a couple of 24" potable metal "fences" that turned out to be great. Together they make a big pen, or as fences blocking off parts of the house or in the kitchen in the early days.

I dare say, there will be accidents so get used to that. If you work with them vigilantly, and it takes months, they'll train fine. That means taking them outside every 20-30 minutes, using verbal queue's, we use "potty" and "outside". Be aware of when they eat and get them outside soon after etc. Good bladder control comes with time and sooner than you might think. But constant training with the same words and going outside works.

Now, with our 2nd a week away from 1 year old, it's been months and months since we've had to worry about anything. They go outside on their own (I put in a doggy door in the wall) and even on their own at night on the rare occasion we forget to make sure they go out before bed.
JKTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!