View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
stormcarver
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New Family Member, New Issues

In the next week or so, our house will have a new Yorkie addition. Because of his past circumstances, I am worried about how he will adjust and am looking for some advice - and probably some reassurance, to be honest.

Zachary belonged to my aunt, who has been very ill for the last year and who spent the last couple of months in Hospice Care. He was everything to her, and she to him. He refused to leave her side to do more than eat and do his business for the past few months and has suffered for it. He has skin allergies that have not been tended to, is no longer house trained (he now uses puppy pads instead), has lacked true attention as he gave all his energy to a dying woman.

My Aunt Lorraine passed away this morning. I will miss her horribly. It was her wish that Zachary come to live with us, as she knew we would love and care for him as she had when she was able to do so as he deserved.

Zachary is a teacup Yorkie, 4-5 years old, and in desperate need of love and rehab. We know he needs treatment for his skin allergies, as the last time we saw him (last month, as Lorraine lives in another state) he was missing over half his fur, but stubbornly refused to be taken anywhere away from Lorraine. He needs vaccinations, grooming...so many things.

He is coming into a home with 2 adults, a teenaged boy who is experienced with dogs, and an 11 year old girl who he seemed to take well to when we visited with Lorraine. We also have a 3 year old female (spayed) German Shepherd with a fantastic temperament and a 1.5 year old male (neutered) Rat Terrier with some fear issues that we are currently addressing. Zach is used to being with a number of Pomeranians, and has stayed with 3 large dogs (unsure of the breed) during Lorraine's care.

I have traditionally lived with large dogs and Ripley (our Rattie) is my first experience with smaller breeds. I adore him and we are doing well, especially since I am disabled and no longer able to train large dogs. The thought of a dog as small as Zachary almost scares me, though! I am hoping that the adjustment goes as smoothly as it did with Ripley.

If anyone has suggestions as to things I can do to prepare our home for Zach, it would be much appreciated. I know he will be in mourning for his person, which I have never dealt with. What do I look for and what can I do for him? Is there anything special I should know when it comes to training or feeding when it comes to Yorkies? Is there anything I haven't mentioned that I should address?

I just feel more than a bit lost at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

Barb
stormcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!