Thread: orinskye....
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 AM   #1
Ringo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default orinskye....

I'm not sure how you are working on the "come" command, but this is what my obedience class taught. They had us go to one end of the long room and get down and call our dogs..."come Toby". Once he came we were to grab his collar or harnass and give them a treat. Each week we worked on that in class....but I worked on this at home with each of my family members too. One day my pup ran to the end of the driveway really fast when I was taking the garbage out. My neighbor was pullling out of his driveway. I was FREAKED out. I got down on my knees and did that silly high pitched "Ringo, come!" . He DID! I was shocked. I guess he remembered those treats. In our class.....we worked on going outside and doing the "come" command with all the other dogs around and all the distractions. There is hope for Toby. I'm not saying Ringo won't come when called one day, but he did when it was important. Anyway, our instructor told us that YOU have to be more interesting than what your dog is going for. Say if Toby likes threats work with that. If he likes toys work with that. My suggestion is to do the "come" thing over and over. Have your finance hold him at one end of the room and you go to the other. Get on your knees and call him. Do this all the time. Have your finance call him too. Then do it when Toby isn't expecting it....from other rooms. Use REALLY good treats. Like boiled chicken or hotdogs. Or anything that he really loves. He will associate "come" with something that's GREAT! Then once he does this for a few days in the house....take him to somewhere safe, but with a lot of distractions. See if he will "come" then. Work with the "come" command constantly. My instructor said this is the most important command you're dog can learn. It could be the matter of life or death. Also, by involving your finance he may see how serious you are. Or maybe both of you could sign up for a clicker obedience class. I think even Petsmart offers them. If he hears this from someone else (instructor) other than you, it might sink it. It always does with my husband and kids. For some reason they believe everyone else!

Regarding people coming in and out of your house. Well, you could buy a pen. I have one set up on my kitchen.......so when I can't watch Ringo, I put him in there. Sure he CRIES, but it's for his own good. Also, if Toby cries maybe your guest will get the hint. They will feel sorry for him and try harder. OR maybe take Toby to your bedroom and just shut the door and hang out with him. If you boyfriend says "why are you in the bedroom?" You could say, "I don't want Toby to get out...and I'd rather hang out in here with him". You could do this when that annoying friend comes over. I would! I know you can't really do that when your dad is around, but maybe the little pen thing will work or keep Toby on a leash in the house. Ringo spends time on a leash in the house. He used to a lot when I was trying to housebreak him. I would sit down to watch tv...and he'd have his leash on and he'd lay down in his bed. Also, this way no one can sneak Toby food, either. One more piece of advice. Talk to the finance away from the situation. Don't fuss at him while he's doing it because a lot of men will do it to show you that "he's boss". LOL They are funny like that. Go out to eat dinner and when he's getting full, bring up the Toby situation. Tell him what you told us. Maybe he will listen. Or you could write him a long letter. These things have worked with my husband. We have been married 20 years...and I've learned a lot about how the male mind works. LOL Heck, you may want to use this tactic on your dad.

Things will get better. Mostly work, work, work on the "come" command. And if all else fails put Toby on a leash while people are around. It can't hurt and it's good to get him used to a leash.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!