View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melimar View Post
Hi Everybody,
I wanted to start this thread to get feedback from all you wonderful Yorkie and all animal, lovers. My lil Gizmo was playing fetch the ball with me yesterday. I threw the ball several times, we were in the park, and on the third time I saw he was limping from his right paw. I thoroughly check his paw to see if he was injured (glass, sharp rock, etc.) but did not see anything. I brought him home and looked more carefully with a magnifying glass, but did not see anything. I Gently squeezed each on of his joints at the nail and nothing! I noticed he was a little tender around his knee. He was completely out of it. Layed in bed for the rest of the day. I took him to the vet today. The vet set that his patella was probably dislodged a little from the knee. He said, " Let's wait and see if it goes back into place on it's own. If not then we may need to operate." I asked if he was going to take an xray. He said, I would have to anethetize him in order to take xrays. I said," I'd rather wait to see if it gets better on it's own". I have been playing with him (he is in better spirits today) around the house but NO jumping. I have been gentley massaging the area but NO pulling. He is such a good dog. He just lies there and let's me do whatever I need to do. Fortunately, I have given him daily massages so he is used to them :>). Anyone, have this experience with their baby? Thank you, Melimar
Is this true???? Can anyone cclear this up? Uni has never been xrayed.

That said, your vet should be able to closely diagnose what grade of LP your Gizmo has without xray, that is what our vet did for Uni. (this is one of his back legs right? it wasn't too clear ) She too was lifting her back leg after a crazy day at the beach hopping around in the waves. Uni was diagnosed with grade 3 which surgery for this grade is debatable by some (me included). I give her Cosequin (glucosamine) supplements twice a day and she has been doing very well, not hiked up her legs since that day.

Lots of times with kneecap will go back in place by itself, it is the cases where the kneecaps are out of place most of the time which really need surgery. Did your vet say waht grade? Hope he is feeling better today.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!