Thread: Meet Baxter
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzetteb523 View Post
Okay, I went to visit my new guy. He is sooo adorable to me. He was more active this time. OMG!! I thought he was going to jump out of my hands a few times (when the phone rang, when his sister started to whine and I gave her a treat to show her I was paying attention to her, too, etc).

I have a couple of questions but not sure if I should post them here (while I'm here anyway posting new pictures) or if I am suppose to start a new thread or put them in an older thread that I started before-anyway if I am breaking any rules please let me know).

1) Can the hair thickness on my new puppy be determined at this young age? He was born 9/7/2009. The breeder keeps telling me he has and will always have a thinner coat, not as thick as his brothers and sister.

2) In the pictures he is enjoying the heck out of this raw hide treat she gives them "because they are teething". Are raw hide treats okay?

3) Do the ears gradually lift up? Each time I see him or see pictures of him his ears seem to be perking up more and more. I saw a Yorkie at Petco today and I couldn't see her ears. They were laying down under all that fur. She was a cutie and 4 years old.

4) Lastly, when can I start using a leash (since I will be taking him to work but will not allow him to roam around outside my home until he is fully vaccinated).

Thanks a lot and enjoy the pictures!!
He is ADORABLE!!! I can't wait to watch him grow up.

2- Rawhides are known to not be too great for their stomachs, especially for tiny little guys. Jackson had a rawhide when he was a puppy (different than the one in your picture though) and he began choking on it and scared me to death. Thank God it ended OK, but no more rawhide's for him. They're not 100% digestible and get soggy sometimes, which can end badly. A lot of people here give their dogs bully sticks to chew on.

3- Yep, it depends on the dog, of course. Some Yorkies ears never stand up but I know cutting the hair on the tip of the ear makes the ear lighter and will stand up easily. They'll go up and down a lot, and when he's teething, they will do the same. Jackson's began standing up 24/7 around 5 months old after he got groomed and his ears tipped.

4- I would start using a harness & leash asap! Get him used to the feel of it! Let him walk around the house with it on, etc

Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!