View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
We are two days from due date. I am just running through stuff in my head and need to ask for reassurance sake....

1. When a sack shows itself but is half in and half out....how long do you let it be until you step in and help pull it out? Does pulling it out not break that sack?

2. Do you stick the aspirator far into the mouth...and do the nose?

3. I am reading and seeing different opinions on how long the pup can be in the sack before it is broken. How long would you all say that should be?

4. My girls milk hasn't come in yet....do you think that is an issue?

5. She has gained 2 pounds.....up until now I figured only two pups in there...doesn't 2 pound gain seem a bit much for only two pups?
If you have to assist to get the puppy through the birth canal, do it with each contraction. Make sure you are gently pulling, and gently grasping the body......never the legs or head........you can assist her to expel the puppy by taking a warm wash cloth and applying pressure to her legs with each contraction.......

If the pup is in the sack and mother is not going about her normal instincts to remove it.....intervine and do it.

Aspirator should go in as far back as you can to remove any fluid......

I've had girls only gain a pound throughout their gestation period and have 3 pups......and then at other times gain 3 pounds and only have 2 pups....just because she's been a piggy

I've had girls not lactate until after pups have been born.....12-24 hours, just as in humans.....the most important is these pups obtain the colostrum in the first 24 hours....

Last edited by Mardelin; 11-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!