View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #31
Gennies
Donating YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY BOY View Post
Please tell me what to expect, the recoop time how do you keep them still? . I just don't know how this is going to work out with DH and I working FT. I have been trying to set up some sitters. How did Bijou do in the crate. Jersey is not a fan of the crate
I'm not going to sugarcoat it to you, if he doesn't like a crate, it's going to be hard. Did he break a front or back leg. It makes all the difference in the world as to whether you'll need an xpen for him or a crate.

Bijou broke her back leg and the surgeon said she had to be in a tiny crate, just enough room to turn around in so that she didn't try jumping or standing up on just the two back legs. Bijou has pins and a plate in her back leg, but since it's an open cut they don't put it in a cast. The surgeon said 4 weeks of crate restriction. Bijou was only 9 weeks old when her break happened, so she bounced back super fast. The day after surgery she was starting to put some weight on her leg. By the second week if she was able to get away from you as you were changing her crate out she was running like crazy. Which made me flip as I thought for sure she'd re-brake it. How old is Jersey?

My sister's pup was 6 mths old when he jumped off a couch and broke his front leg. They just set it and kept putting a new cast on it every 2 weeks for 8 weeks Poor baby had to be in his crate the whole time She's stronger than me as I couldn't stand making Bijou lay in her crate like that. But for my sister it was that they couldn't afford the surgery because her DH was laid off and just starting a part time job.

I will tell you that Bijou's surgery was almost 3,000. My sister's pup was 400 at the e-vet and 120 for each 2 week check up w/her vet which included sedation to remove the cast, take x-rays and recast it.

Please, feel free to PM me and talk more if I can help you in anyway I will. ((((Hugs))))
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!