Thread: Help Now Please
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
butterbeansmoma
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
I use a preemie nipple attached to a syringe.....Pushing a bit of milk into the nipple allowing the to suck.....less chance of aspiration. Start out with 1 cc every 1 and increase to 2 cc as they gain strength. Increase as they request more.....the first 3 weeks are the toughest.....but, eventually the times between feedings will lengthen..
By week 3 1/2 they'll be able to lap on their own. Make sure you burp.....Don't attempt to give them more than they'll take....they'll drop off the nipple when they've had enough
I use Canned Goats Milk with equal parts of distilled water at room temperature. Goats Milk is the closests to Mother's Milk. You can put a onsie on her so that she can do the normal mommie duties, like diapering....but, since she won't be in there full time with them, you have to help her out....and do some diapering yourself.

Did your vet give you something to help her milk dry up? You'll need to watch her too, so that her breasts won't explode....not a fun thing.

That is tooo smart about the onsie! I keep wrapping up Abby in a towel so her babies can't get to her. I am bottlefeeding 6 puppies at this time. Butterbean is my dog and he is the daddy. My mom'a dog abbey is the mom but we have had to take her to the vet twice now. We listened to a woman who said just give her extra calcuim and she can nurse. Don't trust that we almost lost her. This will be her last litter! I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one feeding babies around the clock! Good luck to all the other bottle moms out there!
butterbeansmoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!